Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday PARTY!!

My apologies for leaving everyone hanging for 4 days while I re-charge my brain after Lilly and Diana's big birthday bash.  It wasn't so much the bash itself that has left me utterly lethargic, it was the week's worth of celebrations, doctor appointments, one year photo shoot, late nights and utilizing any spare moment to party plan, which used to be my full-time job so one would think it should come easy.  One would also think I was planning a wedding!  However, nothing involving two 1 year olds is easy, and it is especially not easy while simultaneously fighting a sinus infection.  As a result, I decided to treat myself to a massage tomorrow on my "me" day, which in my opinion is totally justified since the cost of the massage is equal to the cost of our week's worth of formula, which we no longer need.  Now about that mani/pedi I also plan to receive....

Back to the girls 1st birthday party, I had three scenarios in my head of how the day would pan out:  1) semi-awful 2) awful or 3) totally awful.  My reason for not including "fantastic" as a selection was because Matt and I have been down this road before...the road where our recluse daughters suddenly get attacked by a mob of people and have a total high level panic attack (two words:  Christmas. Eve.)  My fear could not have become any more real when both Lilly and Diana decided to skip their 1st nap, meaning that they would be dead to the world at about noon, right when they needed to put on their game face.  I believe my exact words to Matt at 11am were, "Cancel the party!!"

It was at that time, in the privacy of my bedroom, I pleaded with my mom and dad to lay a gentle hand on their grand-daughters and see that they make it through the party, while saving their daughter from having a nervous breakdown!  I think it was my dad who told me to throw his little grand-daughters a bone and asked, "How are two 1 year olds supposed to persevere when they don't even have the support of their own mother?  Shame on you."  Per usual, my dad's imaginary advice/scolding was right!  Under the circumstances of 40 adults and 15 kids all crowding into every square inch of our home, I am very happy to announce that the girls were FANTASTIC!   (Our version of "fantastic" is probably different than others, so for anyone who witnessed multiple L & D meltdowns, those were minor in comparison!)  They enjoyed playing with their cousins and friends and when that failed there were plenty of adults to lend a helping hand.  Right about 1:30pm they were starting to look the part of children needing a nap, so that meant...CAKE TIME!  Everyone crowded around to sing "Happy Birthday" and the girls rather carefully devoured their yummy strawberry cakes - baked and decorated by none other than ME!

Once the cakes were destroyed, we transported Lilly and Diana back to the family room where I witnessed the exact SECOND their sugar high kicked in.  And I was so thankful for it!  They lasted long enough for me to open all their fabulous gifts, and by the end of the gift-opening, the party was beginning to thin out and at 3pm we finally let the girls take a well-deserved nap!

Hats off to Lil & Di for a job well done!

Also, thank you to everyone who celebrated with us and for all the wonderful gifts!  Every single person who walked in the door has been there for us in some capacity this year, and I wanted this party to be a small token of our appreciation.  There are so many others out there as well who have helped us through the year, so if you are reading, our deepest thanks to you as well!

And now for pics...THANKS TO STEPH FOR SNAPPING SOME GREAT PHOTOS!

The birthday girls showing off their rufflebutts!  I should have put their names somewhere, but just know that Di has yellow flower and Lil has blue.


Diana showing off her birthday attire - her 'modeling' shirt, leggings, and sparkly birthday shoes!

Time for cake!  A HUGE thanks to Mindy and Wags for getting these adorable birthday hats and THEN getting them embroidered with their first initial! (D on left; L on right)

Diana happily devouring her cake.

Lilly is a bit more hesitant, but give it time!

She finally discovers all its deliciousness!

I think Di is eyeing Lil to see if she's got her beat.

Jumping in to snap a quick family photo!
Can you say, "Sugar coma?!"

Lil looking hip in her new sunglasses!
Happy 1st Birthday Party, Lil Bean and Lady Di!


GUESTS

FRILLS











Cutest blog on the block