Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth of July Chicago-style!

We have had 4 very busy days and as I settle into bed after all is said and done, I am sad all the fun is over!  Here is a recap in all its glory....

Friday
Since Matt and I's weekends seem to be spent apart lately (due to a wedding, bachelorette party and an upcoming softball tourney), he took this day off to kick-start a family-filled holiday weekend!  We headed to the zoo to take advantage of the nice weather and truthfully for lack of something better to do.  Little did we know that we would quickly become the most popular exhibit there.  They should have paid US an admission fee!  Being gawked at isn't a new thing since having identical twin girls, but I am constantly amazed at the 'in your face' approach.  Some people are extremely sweet, some are entirely inappropriate, and EVERYONE has a story about twins.  My fave comment of that particular day was, "Ya'll should be in a f*cking Target commercial."  Thank you man in the cut-off jean shorts and velcro tennis shoes.  I like your barbed wire tattoo.

Here are some pics to capture our day at the zoo....

Matt giving two thumbs up!
 
Sophie - "America's Next Top Elephant"

Saturday
Last week Matt sprung on me the idea of heading to Chicago for the 4th of July since we weren't able to make it to Matt's cousin's wedding in New York (for obvious reasons.)  My initial thought was, "Let's do it!"  Until I heard the next proposal of staying with Andy/Audrey/Thomas/Lila & Phil/Krista/Addie.  Count that up.  That's 5 kids all under the age of 4 under one roof.  Hmmm...?  But, Andy persuaded us to do it, and Audrey assured me that although we all could potentially be insane, someday we will look back at it with fond memories.  However, my one stipulation for the weekend?  Matt attends only one Reds/Cubs game instead of all 3 as the rest of the male fleet was doing.  (Refer to the above fact of not having many weekends together lately and my purpose of blog...newborn twin girls.)  To Matt's defense, he never even wanted to go to more than one game...or so he said.  

Highlights from Saturday:  playing in the park, lunch at "the rice and beans store" as Thomas calls it (aka, Chipotle), a man who looked just like P. Diddy cruising in his Escalade hanging out the window screaming, "ARE THOSE TWIN BABIES?  THOSE ARE SOME CUTE TWIN BABIES!!!" (Audrey and I were dying at this), an hour of free time while the men took the kids to another park, and dinner at Tavern on Rush - adults-only - while Kristin Braun babysat Lil & Di!  Saturday = success!

Apparently it takes a few booze to get through a park adventure with 5 kids.
Andy swinging with Lil
And his fellow Reds fan - Diana

Sunday
I was a little nervous about the girls sleeping through the night in their pack n' play on foreign territory, but they did!  Andy took charge early in the morning and once again let me, Krista and Audrey do a little shopping while the boys stayed with the kids, then we all met up at Whole Foods for lunch.  I was the real winner of the group because Matt watched the girls in the morning and also wasn't going to the game, so I had help the entire day!  We braved the 4th of July madness on Lake Shore and took a long stroll along the lake.  I don't have a favorite quote from this day but a man did ask to take our picture.  I probably should have asked to see his I.D.  This could be bad...

Later on, we all were very surprised when there was a knock on the door and Mimi & Bapa (Cindy & Tom) appeared!!  There were smiles all around, ESPECIALLY from Thomas and Lila!  We were all so happy to see them!  Grilled kabobs + corn on the cob + wine + happy kids + fun surprises + fireworks (on TV) = Sunday success!

 Diana, you are such a diva!
We asked the weird guy who wanted to take our picture with HIS camera to also take a picture with OUR camera.
Me & my ladies with the lake and skyline in the background
 
And I wonder why people stop us?  The girls have on sunglasses and hats. I should go to jail.
Lila coaching Lilly on how to do tummy time!
Monday
Another successful night of sleeping and we were up and at 'em bright and early.  After a trip to Starbucks we headed out with the whole crew to the beach.  We introduced our girls to the frigid Lake Michigan temps and sandy beach!  They did great for about an hour and then were DONE with the sun and sand.  Off to Navy Pier we went, where T & L rode the train and carousel, then lunch at Harry Caray's.  After that, we packed up the car and with the exception of a few fusses early on, the girls did great on the final lap of the road trip!  We are so proud of you, Lil & Di!!!  We have some great little gals.  Monday = success! 
Getting ready to hit the beach!  (BTW, I really only put sunglasses on for pictures.  My 5 month olds are NOT wearing these around - yet.  :)
Bapa/Lil & Mimi/Di in the lake!
 My 3 favorite peeps.  :)

To Andy, Audrey, Thomas, Lila, Phil, Krista, Addie, Tom and Cindy - we had a GREAT time, so thank you all for a fab 4th of Jewww-lie (as my dad would say!)

More pics of all the cousins:

Sweet little Addie! (So apparently after a hard day's play with her cousins, when Krista said, "Addie, it's time for bed."  Addie's response was, "Thank you, mommy."  :)
Adorable Lila in her pretty swimsuit! 
Crazy-man Thomas giving us a big grin!



Cutest blog on the block