Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Weekend Recap: Birthday Celebrations

We headed to Jasper this past weekend for two separate birthday bashes:  the 4 year old Thomas and the 86 year young grandma Lila!

Thomas' party was at the newly renovated Cabby O'Neill Gymnasium where the girls had all kinds of room to show off their new walking skills.  Di is nearly always found on her two feet but Lilly still favors crawling; however, the pressure is on and I have a feeling she will step it up fairly quickly.

Feeding Lilly & Diana pizza and breadsticks on the gymnasium floor.
Lilly, Matt and Diana taking a time-out in the bleachers

After the party we headed over to Mike and Maureen's where we were staying and prepared them for their evening babysitting duties.  This entailed one thing:  keeping up with twins!  Trust me, this was a piece of cake after raising four spunky kids of their own.  The girls absolutely loved the stairs at Maureen's and I am pretty sure between the four of them they conquered 700 flights of stairs.  I think it is safe to say that Maureen and Mike got their workout for the day. I wish I had taken pictures!

The festivities for grandma Lila's birthday kicked off at Tom and Cindy's gorgeous new cabin then it was off to French Lick for a nice dinner at 1875.  After dinner and lots of wine, it was time for speeches, or should I say tales from grandma's past?!  There were 32 of us at this dinner, so there were lots of tales!  My all-time favorite was one I have heard several times - when grandma had Roger and Scott (the twins who came after SIX other boys), her and grandpa left them in the hospital after birth while they took the other kids on a vacation to Cincinnati for a WEEK!  Roger asked if I would ever dare have done that after I gave birth to my own twins, and my response was, "if I had known then what I know now........!" and an across-the-table high-five to grandma Lila!  The other thing I learned was that grandpa Jerry was less than thrilled each time Andrea and I begged to spend the night at their house and grandma would have said yes.  I had no idea...I thought he loved having two obnoxious 10 year olds crawling into the pantry at all hours of the night searching for the best new snack and then waking up bright and early ready for them to cook us breakfast!

The obvious conclusion of all speeches was that grandma did one heck of an amazing job raising one heck of an amazing family and I am very lucky to be a part of it!  Oh yeah, and that the baton has been passed and the girls now rule the Seger family, per Emily!

This only represents half of the grandchildren!  Back row:  Mark, Adam, me, Phil, Andy, Chris, Andrea, Emily, Jen; Front row:  Abby, Grandma, Kaitlin and Courtney
The 'out-laws' (Matt buttering up to grandma Lila just in time to hit some slots)  Brad, Krista, Brent, Eric, Alina, Joe, Steph, Audrey, Grandma, Matt
Jennifer, me, Emily, Andrea and Abby
The mom's group:  me, Krista, Jennifer and Audrey
Girls on one side...boys on the other!  
Me and Abby with the guest of honor!


Maureen had informed me that the girls did pretty good on Saturday night, so I was very happy to hear that!  On Sunday, after they had gotten so much of a workout from Mike and Maureen on Sat. night and after we all devoured some delicious blueberry pancakes, they slept the ENTIRE trip from Jasper back to Indy!  Unfortunately, Maureen, this means we will never be making another trip to Jasper without coming to your house and burning some energy on those stairs...and ummm...eating more of those pancakes!  THANK YOU!

Cutest blog on the block