Monday, October 4, 2010

You know you have children when...

1.  You join a caravan of cars from Jasper to Bloomington for the IU game and spend the entire car ride in the backseat consoling crying babies instead of making road sodies.

2.  You end up diverting from the caravan as they proceed to the game and we exit onto I-37 back to Indy because the cold, rainy weather that used to make for fun tailgating apparently does not accept infants.

3.  You stay up way too late drinking wine on a Saturday night and forget that you can't sleep in in the morning and get to spend a total of ZERO minutes on the couch the next day recuperating.

4.  You are desperate for some peace, quiet and food so you load up the kids and put them in the car (guaranteed silence, usually with the exception of point #1) during the 4th quarter of a tied Colts game and drive around the town, get Fazolis 'to go' and eat it in the parking lot while listening to the end of the game on the radio.

SIGH.........
__________________________________________________________

Now onto the past couple of days, which despite my list above was a lot of fun...and busy!!

We (Matt) finished painting and decorating the playroom.  I put up this wall decal and absolutely love it!




This past Wednesday I headed down to Bloomington for Alina's bridal shower with the Seger ladies!  It was good to see grandma, the aunts and cousins who I don't get to see very often.  While I was at the shower Matt had baby duty which included taking the girls on a bike ride along Kessler Blvd., Fox Hill, and Michigan Ave. to go to a park near Becca and Mark's house.  If you don't know Indy, just know that this is DANGEROUS!  He realized his mistake when the sun started to go down and he was 25 minutes from home and the only way back was to again travel these narrow, busy roads.  Mark was nice enough to drive behind Matt therefore prohibiting anyone from taking out my little girls in their double burley!!  Yes, Matt got a bit of a slap on the hand for this bonehead move........

On Friday we headed down to Jasper to go through some things at my parents' house.  We were there for less than 24 hours but conquered a lot in that time! 

 We made a stop at Matheis' in Dubois to say HELLO to the Seger boys!


Lilly looking cute in her new fall clothes!
All dressed up for Tyler's 5th birthday bash!
We let Diana play with the container of puffs on the way home and this is what we pulled up to find!

On Saturday our plan was to go to the IU/Michigan game and had loaded up the car and met with the rest of the crew to join the caravan.  We also wanted to hit up the SEGERgate (Adam and Alina's wedding shower tailgate.)  Unfortunately it poured the entire way to Bloomington and therefore we were forced to continue driving to Indy and not torture ourselves in the cold rain with two infants.  Actually, that would have been more torture on poor L & D than us, but I wasn't thinking that at the time....

Luckily we didn't have time to throw ourselves a pity party because one of my best friend's Ali and her husband Ryan and their 5 month old Aubrey came to visit from Chicago!  They were in Indy for a baby shower but staying with us, which was SO great!  Ali is who I stayed up way too late with drinking wine.  We both paid for it the next day, but didn't care because we hardly ever get any girl time anymore!  I also managed to squeeze in baking my seasonal favorite cranberry pumpkin muffins and a breakfast casserole that day.  Go ahead and say it...SUPERMOMMMMMMMMMMMM!  Ha ha...just kidding. That was the 1st time I have cooked in...well, ever.  Honestly that was the 1st casserole I've ever made.

The daddies with their little dolls!


On Sunday we had Allie and Mike and their 2 boys over (with third child on way...)  We tried out my casserole (which if I do say so myself was delicious), drank some bloody mary's and enjoyed more girl (and toddler) time.  Once everyone left, Matt and I took the girls to a park to play on the swings which they LOVED!!  I have never heard such giggles from these two ever!  I think this will become a new activity until we are greeted with snow.

 All the kiddos playing 'together'!
 Crazy how much has changed since our sorority days at AXO!  5 kids going on 6...


Off to the park!

 Diana loving the swing!  (If you click to make this pic larger, you can see her 2 bottom teeth!)

Lil was ALL giggles!!

 L & D

 Me and Di going down the slide!

Matt and Lil's turn!

 Playing in the wood chips

 Wood doesn't taste that good, does it girls?



And now....onto Monday!!  This morning we headed to Tuttle's Apple Orchard which my friend Meredith coordinated with a bunch of other moms and their kids.  I went to bed last night thinking a couple of things:  How am I going to load both girls onto the hayride?  Two carriers?  In a stroller?  Both in my arms?  What if both are fussy and I don't have any help and every mom around me is wondering why the crazy girl with twins who are too young to enjoy the orchard decided to come?  I was still indecisive this morning (mind you, we had to be ready by 8:30 to make the 9am hayride.)  I (along with Matt's help) dressed and fed the girls, got myself ready, bag packed, and THEN decided again I was nuts so sent Mere a text that we weren't coming.  I loaded the girls in the stroller and headed out for a walk instead.  It took 5 minutes before I turned around and thought, "Who cares what the others think?  I am going!"  So I loaded the car and drove the 35 minutes to the orchard.  Did I mention it was 40 degrees out?!  The hayride was JUST leaving as we got there, which was fine b/c I still am not sure how I would have pulled that off.  But we managed to have a great time, picked some apples, played in the hay and went out for pizza afterwards!

Two things to note:  1) I met a mother who had a 3 year old, 2 year old, 1 year old, and was 7 months pregnant with TWINS!  OMG!  I need to send her an apology letter b/c when she told me this I literally could not stop laughing.  2) I met another mother of twins who said that once I get past the "twinfancy" as she called it, things get much better.  I asked her when that was, and she said, "5 1/2 yrs. old."  I have less than 5 years left!  Ha...!

Now for pics from our big adventure!!!  Thanks to Mere and her nanny Amy who helped me along the way!!

While the hayride was going on, I had a photo op with Lil while Diana was still sleeping in the car.

 All bundled up and ready to pick some apples!
 
The girls helped me pick the VERY best apples!

 Choo choo loves to give L & D kisses!

 This pic may be my all time fave...
 D & L

 Playing in the hay with Charlie!!  (Too bad baby Ben was still too young to play!)

 Me and my girls!
 Can we get one of these hay piles at home, mommy?
 Does it get any cuter?  Lady Di and all her loveliness!

Lilly and all her sweetness!

And now that the girls are snug in their cribs for naptime...I am going to stop blogging, ignore the ENORMOUS mess surrounding me, and take a nap.

Cutest blog on the block