Friday, December 31, 2010

Merry 1st Christmas, L & D! (a tad bit delayed)

There are too many reasons to list why I have neglected blogging recently.  The best excuse?  I got a new MAC for Xmas and have NO idea how to work it!  I now have photos in Iphoto and Picasa and my mind is spinning just trying to figure out which is best!

I was going to bypass writing out the details of the past few weeks and tell the story by pictures, but I have come SO far in documenting every big occasion that I can't allow myself to stop now.  And considering there were quite a few big occasions recently, I am forced to give up laziness for perseverance.  Plus, it's my last post in 2010!

There is one thing that saved my sanity prior to the holiday season, and it came in the form of AUNT ROSE!  You can't see it in the pictures, but I swear the woman has angel wings attached to her back.  She stayed with Matt and I for over a week before Christmas and I didn't realize how desperate I was for someone to talk to, someone to lend me a hand, and someone to cook for me.  I haven't eaten that well since I was in high school!  From the moment the girls woke up to the moment they went to bed, Rose was running around like my little mad woman sidekick!  She helped me dress the girls, feed them, change diapers, take them to the pediatrician, run errands, wrap presents, sew missing buttons on my coats, and every spare second she had she would spend it loving on L & D.  At night, she became my therapist as her and I would reminisce about my parents and help each other gear up for what was going to be a tough holiday season.

Joyce and Bill stopped by for a visit on their way to Jasper.  They just adored the girls 
A few members of the Burger clan!
The girls LOVE when Rose sings to them.  Their favorite song?  "Five little monkeys jumping on the bed..."  :)

Moving onto the holidays, Matt and I ventured down to Jasper to spend them at Phil and Krista's house with Addie, Courtney, Mark and Steph.  I was happy we were all under one roof as I think we all needed to be together...no matter how chaotic 3 girls under the age of 2 can be!  We were able to continue with some of our favorite traditions, but with deep sadness a few we were not.  My dad's infamous Christmas brunch was probably the biggest absence this year, although Phil and Krista tried their best to replicate; however, my dad didn't earn "Egg Man of the Year" for nothing!  His scrambled eggs could not be beat.

On Christmas Eve we went to church as usual and then to GG Lila's.  If I do say so myself, the girls looked ADORABLE in their dresses, patent shoes and hair bows!  Here is where tradition begins.  Everyone...as in ALL 60+ SEGERS...must stay upstairs upon arrival because all the presents that Santa brought are downstairs, eat dinner upstairs (nothing but the finest Papa John's pizza), and then when it is time, line up beginning with the youngest great grandchild (who was a whopping 2+ weeks old) up to the eldest grandchild (who is 40+ years old - I think.)  If everyone is present and I did my math right, that is a total of 38 people lining up single file to head downstairs.  All the aunts and uncles are at the bottom of the stairs to capture the moment on video.  Randy and Beth were so kind to capture Lil and Di's first trip down the stairs this year, but of course I can't figure out how to upload it yet on my MAC!

Once downstairs, the girls were greeted with lots of fun gifts, although they really could have cared less if there was a bag of coal awaiting them!  They were much more concerned with the overwhelming number of people around them and the volume at which 60+ talking people can make.  We scored a family picture with Santa and then we were quick to get back to Phil and Krista's house where the girls seemed much more at ease.  I guess being at home with mommy (all day / every day) has its repercussions!

The pineapple adds a fine touch to this picture of 3 Cindy Lou hairstyles!
Diana on Christmas Eve
Lil on Christmas Eve 
D & L looking awfully darn adorable if you do ask their mommy!
Diana was 2nd down the staircase this year - after Alyssa - followed by Lilly!



This pic cracks me up!  Uncle Randy took all these photos for us and did a GREAT job, perhaps with the exception of this one!


 A much better photo, Randy!

TO VIEW MORE PICS FROM CHRISTMAS EVE, ENJOY THE SLIDESHOW:



On Christmas Day we all had a blast watching Addie open her gifts, while the girls were just as happy to watch her instead of opening their own!  Next year will be a completely different story!  We also had a few surprises up our sleeves for Courtney, who more than anyone deserved as good of a Christmas as we could provide.  I think we definitely exceeded her expectations!!  After brunch, a few naps and a visit from the girls' favorite UNCLE ANDY who delivered us twin American Girl dolls, we were headed back over to GG Lila's for ROUND TWO!!  Considering round one was dreadful for the girls, I really had to pump myself up with a few glasses of wine for round two.  Luckily, this night fared much better and we were able to somewhat enjoy the company around us!  Having kids REALLY DOES CHANGE EVERYTHING!  Oh, and I can't forget the traditional Christmas draw/roast by Uncle Ted this year.  It really came as no surprise that I was going to be the recipient of this roast as, lest we forget, I just so happened to have been handcuffed not too long ago.  I will definitely post Ted's poem when I have a chance, and will also add pictures from my sequined orange jumpsuit that said, "Jailbird" on the back, along with my handcuffs, sequined belt and purse!  At least I was a stylish jailbird!

Christmas morning 
Two of the many books the girls got this year!
Lilly waiting to tear into that sack (from Finishing Touches...you want one too, I know it!) of goodies!
Diana has her very own sack too!
Lil is ALWAYS making this cheesy face! 
Diana trying out her new riding toy!

Twin American Girl dolls from Uncle Andy!  Notice the wrapped up hand on one them - total coincidence!
Perhaps the girls' favorite gifts of all!  Chairs from Godfather Mark and Godmother Courtney!

Daddy got creative one evening and smashed both girls in their Cozy Coupe.  They LOVED it!

TO VIEW MORE PICS FROM CHRISTMAS DAY, ENJOY THE SLIDESHOW:




One would think that when Christmas is over, one can breathe a sigh of relief.  However, December 26 for us marked the one year anniversary of my mom's death.  One thing I was happy for was that our family was all together on this day.  Everything becomes a bit more manageable.  It is mind-boggling to think that I have not seen or spoken to my mom for an entire year.  She missed so much this year.  If I had one wish it would be for my mom to meet her beautiful little granddaughters.  She would be so proud of them, and I would like to think she would be proud of me as a mother.  In 31 years I never needed my mom so much as I needed her this past year.  I wish I could tell her that I FINALLY understand the role of a mother and that I am grateful to her for all that she did for my brothers, sister and I.  She was one of a kind...giving up all her own needs for so many years to meet all of ours.  I miss her every single day, but am so thankful for the 31 years I was able to have with her.  If I can become half the mother to my girls that she was to us, my girls will be very lucky.


Cutest blog on the block