Sunday, December 5, 2010

What do Christmas trees and handcuffs have in common?

I had my hands in both of them this weekend.

Chalk up another eventful weekend for the Bajoreks!

For some insane reason I was actually looking forward to a weekend at home since our last time to do this was in October.  Actually, despite on Friday my child wedging herself in a high chair and requiring 4 ppl to get her out, during the wee hours of Saturday morning throwing up for 2 hours straight, and then on Sunday being detained and handcuffed in Nordstrom for a falsely accused shoplifting incident...my weekend was SPLENDID!  How was yours?!?!


First is first, on Friday the girls and I went to lunch with my friend Jackie and her son.  I already was making a scene when I carried both girls in my arms through the narrow aisles of the restaurant. I swear everyone stopped chewing their food in hopes to be the hero who would come sweeping in to catch one of the daughters that I was about to drop on the floor.  Luckily I made it to the high chairs safely and deposited each girl.

A short while later, after both girls had dropped plates and silverware on the floor at least 12 times each, Lilly somehow managed to work her way out of the strap of the high chair and wedged her body to a point where we had to figure out a way to get her back out.  Jackie and I tried and the couple at the table next to us also jumped up to assist and at this point I am sure everyone in the restaurant was thinking I should get a to-go box and head right back to where we came from.  Not without a few high pitched screams from Lilly did we finally get her free.  To add salt to my bad mommy wounds, Jackie recognized the woman who helped us as a doctor at Clarian North and is it any surprise that when I told her my daughter was just there, she knew the entire story of Diana and her finger and her twin and the ER experience and how her daddy thought it was his fault for her infected finger because he bit her nails?  And now she just rescued my other daughter from being stuck in a high chair.  Awesome.

Thankfully my humiliation was short-lived (although it would soon return on Sunday with much greater force than I have ever been witness to) because Matt had surprised me with a DATE NIGHT on Friday and had gotten a sitter!  That story is much shorter...we went to Palomino for dinner, admired the Circle of Lights, were home by 10pm, and then I was up puking from 1-3am.  Apparently it was a bad case of the scallops.  Little did I know this would be the high point of my weekend.

On Saturday we got our Christmas tree!  Actually, that was really my high point of the weekend!  We bundled the girls up and got a great tree and then spent the afternoon decorating it, baking banana bread and brownies and hanging out with Courtney!  If only every day could be this Martha Stewart-like!!  (No pun intended, Martha, now that I am getting ready to transition to being DETAINED IN HANDCUFFS.!)

Me with Di and Matt with Lil picking out our tree.  Judging by the girls' expressions, they cannot believe we drug them out in the cold to buy something so obviously inedible.

Sweet Diana playing while mommy decorates!

Happy Lil Bean!

Our finished tree!!

NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF:

Sunday morning started like any other...the girls woke up way earlier than we hoped, we got through it with lots of coffee, we played, watched some CBS Sunday Morning, admired my fully decorated Christmas tree, and then Courtney and I were off to the mall to do some holiday shopping.  That was all happy and bright until I found myself being dragged into Nordstrom to a detaining room, searched, patted down, and handcuffed to a chair apparently being accused of shoplifting, only to be released after a RECEIPT for the item that I was being accused of stealing was ON the item that I was being accused of stealing, not without a thorough online investigation of the credit card in which I PURCHASED the item with.  Perhaps the question, "do you have a receipt?" could have been asked prior to the public humiliation and handcuffs, or the woman could have stopped and listened for one inkling of a second when I kept exclaiming that "I HAVE A RECEIPT!" instead of being so damn sure of herself and proudly stating that she was going to take me to jail.

And to explain the reasoning for being accused of shoplifting, I had brought an item into the store to exchange and Courtney and I were looking at other items we may buy in exchange for the one I had, so when I put the item that was MINE back in my bag after not finding a new item to exchange it with, I was accused of shoplifting.  I actually do understand where THAT could be mistaken for shoplifting (although am I the only person who brings an item into the store to exchange??), but had the woman looked on her surveillance camera or allowed me to present my receipt for the item instead of immediately man-handling me in the middle of the mall and detaining me while handcuffed to a chair...everything could have been resolved in the matter of minutes and my dignity restored. 

Don't worry, during all of this it did cross my mind to ask the loss prevention agent to take a picture of me while handcuffed so I could post it on the blog.  But I am sure my sarcasm would have landed me in jail, as she threatened to do more than a few times.  She also treated Courtney with complete disrespect and that too will be brought up today when the Nordstrom Regional Manager, who is now investigating the case as was demanded by Courtney and I after the incident, calls me.

I realize it is a great story, although 100% of me is (to be bluntly honest) pissed off for the embarrassment and accusations that were thrown against me.  So so so wrong in any way you look at it.  Even after having slept on it, I am still FUMING!

P.S. If you love me at all, you will not do any shopping at Nordstrom until further notice. :)  I, for one, am still numb to the fact of not ever wanting to shop at Nordstrom again.  I directed that statement after finally being released from detainment to all the store clerks who were the ones who were so sure they had a shoplifter, and I intend to fully abide by it.

P.S.S.  I am now left wondering...what came 1st?  The target on my back or the blog?  Did the blog all of a sudden make me a target or was I always a target but now I just notice it more because I document it all in the blog?  In other words, DOES THIS KIND OF STUFF HAPPEN TO OTHER PEOPLE????

Oh yeah, I also went to the Colts game tonight while Mark and Steph babysat.  They suck.  The Colts.  Not Mark and Steph.  They are AWESOME!!  Thank you guys!

Cutest blog on the block