After a rough start to the morning (neither girl wanted to eat breakfast and threw a 30 min. fit), we finally calmed them down, packed the car and off we went - a total of an 8 hr. drive! We only made 2 stops: 1) Wendys where the girls got treated to some perfectly unhealthy French fries; 2) rest stop after a very unhappy Lilly finally drove us to pull over. We let them roll around on a blanket for a while. We really got a feel for the Michigan air there...it was cold! Back on the road we went, and finally made it to Bay Harbor!
Our room could not be any sweeter...we have a porch that walks right out to the pool and beach! NOT that we would dare leave the girls unsupervised while they nap and we hit the pool for a few kid free hrs., but the distance in our home would be from their nursery to our kitchen! Too bad we didn't bring our monitors...
Last night we had dinner at our hotel, sat outside watching the waves crash and sunset. My idea of perfect! We met this fabulous older couple who told us everywhere to go and not to go. However, they also told us that despite what looked like the threat of rain, it was not headed in our direction. Hmmmmm....
After dinner Matt and I decided to take the girls for a walk to the marina to explore and get ice cream...distance about 1/2 mile. (Mind you, it is only about 55 degrees out at this hour + wind from the lake = chilly evening!) While Matt was ordering the ice cream we noticed it started to rain so Matt tells me to head back. JUST as we walked outside it started to POUR! Not only was it pouring but the WIND...oh my! So I take off in full on sprint with the girls back to our hotel. This requires running along the sandy beach in my sandals with the rain and lake water drenching us along the way. I see the man who told us it wasn't going to rain and he yelled, "WE HAVE A CAR!" I was way too focused at that point and just screamed, "SO MUCH FOR NO RAIN!" We continued on our trek...the worst part is that our super-easy-to-steer Bob (stroller) nearly took off on its own several times! I kept envisioning my girls being swept up by the lake! As I was sprinting, I was cracking up at the sight that we had to be, and smiled at the fact that I gave my parents something to laugh about. So we finally made it back to our porch under cover, and the best part? Two seconds later a drenched Matt comes running up with 2 perfectly unaffected cups of ice cream in his hands! He ran a 1/2 mile in a thunderstorm with the wind and waves and carried a cup of ice cream in each hand the entire way! Ha!!! And to kick off this story, we get the girls out of the stroller and into the dry room (they were also totally unaffected by all of this and just stared at us like, "you fools, we could have told you it was going to rain") and keep the Bob out on the porch. All of a sudden, Bob was missing....it had blown down to the beach!!! So, off Matt went again....
Stay tuned for Day 2...
(Oh and I hope to upload pics as well, but right now am a little time-sensitive)
