Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bay Harbor Day 3 (Wednesday)

This morning our alarm clock (this time known as Diana) was apparently broken because it kept chirping at 5:30am but we SURELY didn't set it until at least 7am!  (Sigh)  Luckily, we got her it fixed and enjoyed another hour of sleep.  When we finally did rise, we quickly discovered that the high today was going to be 80 degrees!  Yippeee!

We started the morning with coffee and a walk to a park that had the most amazing views of Lake Michigan.  When the temps finally reached the low 70s, we set up shop by the pool.  And when I set up shop, I mean WE SET UP SHOP!  Pictures will prove this.  We had a tent, the pads to 2 pack n' plays, a bumbo seat, toys, 2 giant floatie devices, 2 lounge chairs, and every other miscellaneous item you need to take to the pool.  We actually took over the lawn between the pool and beach...it was perfect!  The girls did take 2 decent naps in the tents, and I got in there too a few times and with the breeze and sound of waves crashing, I could have fallen asleep right with them.  Instead Matt and I got to enjoy a daquiri and a margarita and a few minutes in the hot tub (oh yeah, the 'heated' pool?  Not so heated.  Most everyone was in the hot tub except those few obnoxiously stupid ppl who braved the chilly temps of the pool.  We, of course, would eventually become those obnoxiously stupid ppl.)  Lil and Di were champs in the water and really loved being pushed around in their big ol' floatie devices.  We also ventured down to the beach/lake just to check it out.  Even though this is all so close, the beach is not much of a beach...it's all rocks instead of sand.  I am actually one who prefers pool to beach anyway.

We ended up being outside from about 10am-5pm.  For reasons I now realize are all crazy, we decided to take the girls to dinner.  We asked the concierge for a recommendation and he raved about the Traverse City Bar & Grill which is on a golf course.  We think nothing of it and only assume that since we were standing in front of him with twins that he would point us in the direction of somewhere kid-friendly.  Well, when we arrived, we realized it was not so kid-friendly.  However, we braved it anyway.  For the most part, the girls were good during dinner as long as they were rocked, held, fed, etc. Fun times! The way home was another story...screaming for 30 min. straight from both kiddos.  I couldn't wait to see the look on the valet person's face when he went to open my door and hear the wails. What's worse than not getting a look?  Having him turn around and walk away and not even attempting to help!  What, can't handle 2 uncontrollably screaming babies at decibels only dogs should hear???  Wimp....

Anyway, now for the random story of the day:

A group of about 8 men, all in their 70s and 80s come into the restaurant we were eating dinner at, immediately see 2 little babies, and soon enough our table is swarmed with the most adorable-looking grandpas you have ever seen.  We get to talking, and somehow I mention that Matt and I lived in D.C. and one of the men drags over another of the men (Bob) and tells us how he is the founder of a prep school in D.C.  Matt asks, "it's not Mater Dei is it?"  But of course it is!!  Matt knows the current Headmaster (Ned) at Mater Dei.  How else?  He rolled in the same horse betting circle as the guy a few years ago.  So Bob and Matt start talking about Ned and Ned's family and horses and so on so forth.  So now Ned knows that Bob (the 80 yr. old founder of the school that he currently runs who lives in Florida) and Matt (the 31 yr. old horse-betting enthusiast who lives in Indiana) met in Michigan and apparently is just floored.  I bet he is still scratching his head thinking, "How in the H*ll did these two guys meet?"  I swear I can't take Matt anywhere....  :)

Relaxation factor update:  page 23

Cutest blog on the block