Monday, November 29, 2010

Crash and Burn

That is exactly what I did when we got back to Indy yesterday.  The craziness of the past few weeks took its toll and I was more exhausted than I have been in a VERY long time.  So instead of getting our Christmas tree and putting up decorations, I let Matt watch the girls while I took the best 2 hour nap OF MY LIFE...without a single ounce of guilt whatsoever.  And then actually I took another nap when the girls took their nap, and once again, no guilt was found looming its angry head.

We had a nice Thanksgiving in Indy with all the Bajoreks minus Mary Beth and Brian who were definitely missed!  I couldn't help but think I was experiencing the most "normal" Thanksgiving in my 31 years of existence.  I mean, I realize a Thanksgiving feast of 60 people is not your typical family gathering...at least it's not for anyone but the Segers!  I definitely enjoyed the more intimate setting for a bit of a change.  Lilly and Diana's taste buds were on fire that night because they devoured the yummy kind of sweet potatoes (made with loads of sugar, of course), mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn and of course turkey.  They had the happiest tummies on the block! 

You know I am tired when I didn't even try to get a cute pic of the girls together for their 1st Thanksgiving!

 Babci and Lilly
Dziadziu and Diana

 The girls' 1st Thanksgiving feast!

Then on Friday we headed down to Jasper.  Going to Jasper is not something I look upon with a ton of excitement, and usually the second we hit the 1st stop light I want to turn the car around and head back to my 'safe place' in Indy.  Phil compared our visits like a boxing match.  He and Courtney get delivered a thousand little punches as they are closer to home than Mark and I are and therefore have frequent reminders of what we've lost.  Mark and I get delivered about 3 or 4 big blows a year, as that is about as often as we come home now.  This trip was the 1st time we all decided to stay at Phil and Krista's house instead of tirelessly trying to bring life to my parents' house.  So, the biggest blow of the weekend came when we had to drive past my parents' house on our way to Phil and Krista's house.  It sucked - that's really the only word that comes to mind.  But, then we got to Phil and Krista's where there was sign of life..and open bottles of wine...and I immediately knew the decision had been made that we will start staying there from this point forward.  It is unquestionably easier in every single way.

Sometimes things are cuter than kids.  
JUST KIDDING!  But I did have to laugh at all the bottles of wine open considering there were only about two of us drinking it.

This year we also decided to start some new traditions of our own, and on Friday the men (Phil, Mark, and Matt) fried a turkey, which was delicious!!

 The men tending to the turkey fryer!

Meanwhile the kids are HUNGRY!

Then on Saturday was the dedication of Central Green which I wrote all about in a separate post.

We also managed to hit Allie and Haley's pinkalicious birthday party on Saturday!  Things were going great until it was hitting the girls' bedtimes, Diana slammed her head into the side of the pool table while Lilly smashed her finger, and Matt jetted off to the Jasper High School basketball game.  Luckily Kelly came in to save the night and got to experience first-hand what the bedtime routine with twins is all about!!

And onto today, we went to the pediatrician who said that Diana's finger seems to be healing perfectly!  Tomorrow morning we are off to the plastic surgeon, and then HOPEFULLY we can get back to some sense of normalcy around here!  But 1st we need BABY GATES!!!

Cutest blog on the block