Saturday, November 13, 2010

Diana - Day 1

Let me preface this post by saying that I am on an iPad therefore you can expect many grammatical errors.

Not sure how to begin unfolding the past day but let's start with where we are right now, which is in the pediatric intensive care unit at clarian north. Diana was admitted after I took her to the ER early this morning because of what appeared to be swelling on her index finger. I will spare you the traumatic emergency room details. Let's just say the fear of hearing that my daughter is going to be admitted to intensive care for a couple of days, will be hooked up to an IV of antibiotics, and appears to have an infection that could potentially be life threatening did not dissolve well with a first time mother who less than a year ago lost both her parents in intensive care units. I put on an Emmy winning performance in the ER and by doing so think we scored the best pediatric doctor here.

After several failed iv attempts one doctor finally got the iv in dianas tiny little foot. I think Diana stopped the earth from rotating due to her blood curling wails--all well deserved because the poor girl was being put through hell. She is being so brave.

The current diagnosis is cellulitis which is a skin infection most likely caused by staph or strep. The hope is that it is localized in the finger and has not traveled elsewhere. They are currently growing cultures to make sure. Diana is on an antibiotic that hopefully will show signs of working by tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon.

Diana is such a trooper and I am so proud of her. Her spirits are a little down but whose wouldn't be when you are missing your other half and your greatest joy in life (standing up and crawling) aren't allowed because of fear your iv will come out? But boy when daddy turned on baby Einstein did her face light up! And the jello we also gave her got us quite a smile as well!

Lilly also seems to be missing her other half because the team of sitters who rallied around her said she seemed a bit off. I don't know if I believe them because I got the biggest smile ever from her when I went home to visit her! This is the longest they have ever been apart though so it wouldn't surprise me if they notice. And speaking of the team of sitters--being the siblings of Matt and I--THANK YOU for setting aside all the other things you had planned today to babysit Lil.

Right now I am on couch unable to sleep but thankfully Diana has been peacefully sleeping for about an hour now. She is hooked up to a lot of noisy machines and the nurses keep coming in disturbing her beauty sleep. Let's hope for a good night. I will update when we learn more tomorrow.

Cutest blog on the block