Monday, November 29, 2010

Central Green, "...A Lasting Tribute..."

If you read my post earlier, you now know that I separated this part from it as it deserved its own attention.  On Saturday was the dedication of a new park in Jasper called "Central Green".  It is a passive park made up of benches, trees and fountains which are meant for children to play.  It is developed on land that used to be the old middle school (where both of my parents attended, as well as Phil, Mark, Courtney and I) and has been left vacant for many many years.  After months of having a very very small hand in the design, I could not believe how beautiful this park was.  Impressive is the word that comes to mind.  I didn't take pictures because I had a restless Diana or a restless Lilly in my arms the entire time, but I just copied all of Steph's, so THANK YOU STEPHANIE!  The Mayor and Superintendent acknowledged all those people who helped bring this park to fruition.  Tom also spoke more directly about my parents, and at the end of the ceremony surprised us with this:




It is a stone that is located right at the entrance to the park, and it is simply gorgeous.  There are no words to describe how grateful we are to have something so beautifully written in a place that we hope will be a big part of many children's lives.  I can't wait to show my kids this when they are old enough to understand.  And I can't wait to have a place to go that feels peaceful yet fun to remember my parents.  They were, afterall, extraordinary people who dedicated their lives to their children.  It all seems so perfectly fitting.

 The fountains

The crowd

 The mayor acknowledging all the people who this park was dedicated on behalf of.


Fr. Gary was there to do the blessing

Grandma Lila

Maureen and Grandma Burger

 Our fam


 I had to dress the little L & D in their L & D shirts as we prepared to dedicate a park to the late L & D




MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE INVOLVED IN CREATING SOMETHING MY PARENTS WOULD TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN.

Cutest blog on the block