Monday, November 15, 2010

Diana update - Day 3

Sunday night was pretty rough due to the dressing on Diana's hand that kept coming off and a 4:30am IV relocation that had also come out.  My heart was breaking for her left and right.  I couldn't (can't) help but think she does not deserve all this torture.  We slept for a few hours this morning though and she woke up in a great mood.  That was short-lived when the doctor came in to check her finger and shocking, it wasn't any better.  So a transfer to Riley was decided and we once again packed our bags and signed all the paperwork and this time finally loaded the ambulance around 2pm and were on our way.  The best part of the road trip was that Diana has been in isolation so she was finally allowed outside of her hospital room!!!  She kept waving "bye bye" to people!  Once at Riley, I felt much more relaxed knowing we were at the best of the best. 

We were immediately welcomed by 3 different teams of doctors.  The overall consensus was that Diana's infection is viral and therefore just needs to run its course.  This was great news!  Also, the infection is contained to just the finger and the fear we've been living with for 3 days that it could spread elsewhere seems nearly impossible at this point (as long as the anti-virals continue to work which we should begin to notice tomorrow.)  They are also keeping her on antibiotics as well to be safe.  The head pediatrics plastic surgeon explained to us that a surgery at this point (to release the pressure in her finger and/or remove some of the infection) would actually make it worse.  He did warn us though that after the finger has healed a possible reconstructive surgery could be necessary depending on how bad the virus attacked it.  So, I am okay with this and only feel relief at this point that we know what it is and we are doing something about it and we have amazing doctors around us.  Diana will continue to be in the hospital until the end of the week at the earliest, possibly up until next week.

Many people have asked me how this all started so let me explain:  Friday morning we woke up and I noticed that the tip of Diana's finger was a bit swollen and red.  I thought she smashed it in a toy or just hurt it standing up on something.  Surprisingly my gut told me to do something about it instead of 'wait and see' which is the approach I usually take.  I called the pediatrician's office as soon as it opened and took her in a few hours later.  The pediatrician didn't really know either but did say she thought it was infected as opposed to injured and started her on an antibiotic. She drew a marker around the finger and said that if it goes beyond that point over the weekend, call her.  Saturday morning it had, so I called her and in to the ER we went.  You know the rest of the story. 

I need to brag about my little Diana.  The doctor could not believe her disposition and told us just how painful this has to be for her, but she doesn't even seem to notice it.  The only pain meds she has been on is Tylenol once or twice a day.  If you poke her with something or wake her up from her slumber, don't be fooled, she will yell at you.  But other than that, she has been a very brave soldier.

Two things that totally made my day today:  1) we had to take the IV off Diana to ride in the ambulance so once we got to Riley and in her crib this girl could not be stopped!  She was crawling and pulling herself up and playing with toys and smiling and laughing...it was my old Diana shining through!  And 2) I finally came home tonight while Matt stayed with Diana and decided I wanted to be at home in time to see Lilly before she goes to bed.  I was missing her A LOT!  So Lilly and I had a date tonight and it was a great end to a crazy day.

Lastly, Matt and I cannot thank you all for the support you have shown and especially to those offering to help us out with Lilly.  We are set through Friday but may be hitting some of you up if our stay extends beyond the weekend!  We are very lucky to have such a great support system (I feel like I have said this exact statement a couple of times this past year.  Is anyone ready for 2011 as much as I am? :)

 Diana gets anything she wants in the hospital, so is it any surprise that we have Baby Einstein on 24/7?  Here, she is obviously delighted at our choice!

 All bandaged up but that won't stop our Lady Di!

 Our sweet girl trying to catch some well-deserved zzzzzzz's

 All ready to go for a fun ride in an ambulance!

Taking advantage of the few hours without an IV pole attached to her!

Thank you Riley for a much prettier bandage and scrubs!


Cutest blog on the block